Are you experiencing neck or shoulder pain after a car accident?
Experiencing a shoulder or neck strain due to a motor vehicle accident (MVA) is not uncommon. Whether its a T-bone collision, fender bender, or a front- or rear-end impact, these incidents can lead to stiff and tight muscles, restricted range of motion (ROM), and increased sympathetic nerve activity. This heightened nervous system response can limit daily activities, making rehabilitation crucial for restoring function and reducing whiplash-like symptoms.
Rehabilitation Approaches for Shoulder and Neck Injuries:
1. Addressing Upper Trap Tightness:
– Target lower and middle trap muscles to alleviate the tightness in the
– Strengthening these muscles helps reduce sympathetic nerve tone,
promoting better neck and shoulder mobility.
2. Enhancing Thoracic Rotation Mobility:
– Improve thoracic rotation mobility to facilitate overhead arm movement
and regain full ROM.
– Focus on stabilizing the shoulder girdle by strengthening muscles like the
serratus anterior and rotator cuff muscles, essential for external shoulder
3. Incorporating Kettlebell or Dumbbell Carries:
– Underrated exercises like carries with kettlebells or dumbbells are
effective for shoulder stability and core strength.
– Variations such as bottom-up, overhead, offset balance, and marches
stimulate shoulder muscles differently, promoting comprehensive growth.
4. Cardiorespiratory Endurance for Recovery:
– Prioritize Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) cardio to avoid increasing
unwanted muscle tone and pain.
– LISS enhances training volume and capacity by increasing skeletal
muscle capillarization and mitochondrial density, expediting metabolic
recovery and system overload.
Recovering from shoulder and neck injuries post-MVA requires a comprehensive rehabilitation approach. By focusing on targeted exercises to address muscle imbalances, improve mobility, and incorporate LISS cardio for enhanced
endurance, individuals can expedite recovery and reduce the impact of whiplash-like symptoms. Seeking professional guidance for a tailored rehabilitation plan can further optimize results and contribute to a faster return to daily activities.
DIRECT BILLING AVAILABILE FOR ICBC ACTIVE REHAB SURREY!!
You are pre approved up to 12 weeks from the date of your accident for 12 half hour sessions. This means we can schedule you in immediately and start working on your recovery plan. No doctors note required, it is not mandatory to see a Physiotherapist or Chiropractor prior to starting ICBC Active Rehab.
If your claim is from outside 12 weeks, we will contact your adjuster directly to get approval before we start.
Genuine Athletics & Rehabilitation offers direct billing to ICBC meaning you pay nothing out of pocket!